[RC] High-Ties/Spring Ties - Lucy Trumbull

My "high tie" is a Spring Tie and I'm very happy with it.

You can see some pics here:
http://www.quacky.co.uk/~elsie/2007/Buck-Meadows/IMG_9414a.jpg
http://www.quacky.co.uk/~elsie/2007/RoM/IMG_8969b.jpg
http://www.quacky.co.uk/~elsie/WashoeValley2007/images/IMG_0204.JPG

Travelling alone most of the time, set-up is a cinch and
my pone is installed in his temporary home within five
minutes of arrival. It takes longer to fill his water bucket
than set up the Spring Tie.

Roo lies down and wanders around some, and even tried to roll on it this last ride (it made a boinging sound
which scared him, so he jumped up, apparently).

The first time my mare was tied to it - she didn't realise it was above her and the jingle sound from the snap startled her and she pulled back and sat down. Once she realised it was nothing, she came back up with no ill-effects to her or the tie (unlike the tie-ring on the trailer she sat down on once, which is now bent).

I would say your horse would have to be very tall and raise
his legs above head height, Trigger-style, to be able to get a leg over it when rearing. I'd be more concerned about him
whacking his head on it, if anything.

But it doesn't seem to have that effect on them - the pull
is high from above, so they don't seem to react that way. Plus both the Spring Tie and the Hi-Tie have built-in
springiness to them, so the horse doesn't hit a hard end,
it just gets progressively harder to pull against.

For this reason, I'm not a fan of the static high-ties that
are just an arm that attaches to the side of the trailer
(Sky Hooks, I think, f'instance?).

Having friends with them, I would agree that the Hi-Tie
might be a better product, since it stays permanently
mounted to the trailer, while the Spring Tie has to be
un-pegged and put away. The Spring Tie is a little heavy to install, but I'm 5'2" and can stand on the running
board of my trailer and get it in pretty easily, so it isn't a big deal.

As people have pointed out, the Hi-Tie is slightly more versatile in where it can be mounted because of being
able to be rotated horizontally and vertically.

However, if you have the Spring Tie mounted at the back
of your trailer, it also had the ability to be pegged at 90
degree increments, so you could have it stuck out sideways,
or sticking out towards the back of the trailer.

The Hi-Tie used to be cheaper, but I think they put the
price up recently because it seems pretty close in
price to the Spring Tie.

With regard to bungees, as I was leaving Washoe Valley
in the morning last month, I noticed a loose horse near
a trailer so went to retrieve it. The owner said it was the
horse's first Hi-Tie experience. It seems that the horse
had somehow managed to break the bungee (maybe
pulling it tight around the back edge of the trailer?) and
the elastic had separated out and broken and become tangled in the horse's mane, so that the remaining little section of bungee was still attached to the halter and the mane, causing the horse to have to stand with his head turned sideways. Kind of strange, but it occurred to me that if the horse had been tied with a cotton lead rope, it might not have broken.

Roo got loose at NV Moonshine - probably because I
didn't attach his snap properly. The Spring Tie comes
with a flat nylon tether and I think I might replace it with
a normal lead rope with one of those Parelli-type snaps
on the end, which can't be inadvertently undone.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, California