RE: [RC] How Did You Find Your Soul [Endurance] Horse ? Part 2 - Katrina Mosshammer

Well last year, when the convention was in San Antonio, I was supposed to go look at a 6 yo gelding while I was there. Well when I met up with the owner she apologized and said another endurance rider from the east coast had looked at him the day before and had given her cash on the spot. I was disappointed but I can't blame her.

A few week later I saw a post on the central reg. List for a Hungarian mare for sale in Kansas. I didn't pay that much attention at the time. A couple of weeks later mom says we might want to go take a look at her. She was the right age, right size, and had already done some CTRs. She talked to the owner and another long time endurance friend had just come out and looked at her. So we talk to our friend and she says she is a nice mare but just didn't fit with her. Mom convinces me to go take a look at the mare. The minute we saw her both of us said "She looks exactly like Whatta!" So I ride her around their property and she did ok. (Mind you I'm REALLY timid with a new horse, and had some confidence issues after the pinto mare.) She even spooked once and I found out she wasn't that bad and I could survive. Mom and I talked and she said if I was serious about her we needed to rider her away from her "home". The owner, Leah McGregor, agreed to take us to a park that was @ 30 min away the next day.

We go out and we are in a nice little trot and up pops a turkey in the trail in front of us. Perle just slammed on the brakes and luckily put her head up which kept me from going over her ears. I just busted up laughing and had a huge grin on my face. We knew then that this was going to work. I never thought I would be able to find a replacement that would be close, much less this close to what I had before. She looks like him and acts just like him. I've had her just over a year and have done 2 50s and 2 25s on her that we just breezed through. And our first 25 we got BC!

I've decided that it was divine intervention. If the other ones hadn't worked out I would have never found her. The other day mom said some days it doesn't seem like we have had her a year already and others it seems like we have had her forever. She was a perfect fit from day one in every aspect.

If you want to see how much these two resemble each other check out this link.

http://www.slide.com/r/sGoIrmrUzz8SmXb0HZh4o-wRTeU7iI9l?previous_view=lt_embedded_url

OK, I'll stop bragging now :-)

Katrina

P.S. Never did a prepurchase exam on any of them.