Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 2:37 PM
Subject: [RC] Horse Identification

I haven't posted before but have been reading the posts for about a year.
I am doing alot more traveling with my horses now that I am endurance
riding and I am worryed about them getting lost or stolen when I am away
from home.  I have looked into getting my 2 horses microchipped.  I
thought that this was a fairly inexpensive procedure but when I talked to
my wet she said that the chip alone costs them $75.  Also if the horse
gets lost or whatever most people don't have access to a scanner to see if
the horse has a chip.
Last weekend I had someone tell me that I should get my horses freeze
branded.  I had never even given this a thought.  This way a person would
be able to see the identification mark on the horse immediatly.  I was
curious if anyone had ever had this done to their horse and if it worked
and they were happy and how expensive it was?  I live in Minnesota.  Does
anyone have any other ideas for ways to have permenant identification for
the horse if it gets lost or stolen?

Beth