Re: [RC] Christmas in May - Brenda K.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bekosso Words Work. [mailto:wordswork@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: May 27, 2007 11:31 AM
To: 'tracetribute@xxxxxxxxx'
Cc: 'ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: Re: Christmas in May

Hi Angie. Thanks for asking about the ride this weekend, following a huge
dump of snow on already wet ground.
The Landry Family - including Paul and his son Mark and assorted friends and
spouses, put on a brave face and managed to pull off a very well-attended
ride, thanks in a huge way to the co-operation of neighbouring farmers and
to Mother Nature, who graciously provided sunshine and winds to melt the
snow and dry things up a little bit.
We carved up on of Larry Lee's pastures really nicely, with most of the rigs
having to be pulled in by tractor on Friday.
Paul and Mark had to reroute part of the trail because a small creek that's
normally little more than a trickle had overflowed and become dangerous.
A large portion of the trail also had to be re-routed because we still have
not been able to teach riders to stay out of the middle of the crops. One of
the landowners - whose property runs alongside the north bank of the Red
Deer River - was extremely pissed because people had ridden across his crops
last year. He therefore refused the Landry family permission to use his land
this year, so they had to re-draw a major portion of that area as well.
At the end of the day, despite what must have been one of the most
frustrating rides they have put on in more than 20 years, Paul and Karen and
their kids did a bang-up job with loads of really, really nice trail.
I'm so glad we attended, as were the other riders I spoke with, excluded
perhaps "Cowboy" Bob Wurban who parted with his horse at Blackfalds Lake.
Apparently, in his enthusiasm to refresh himself with a quick bath, the
horse lost his rider, who consequently injured his shoulder and had to take
a truck ride home. The horse wasn't badly damaged, and I haven't heard how
Bob made out at the hospital.
And that's it for now from Sunny Alberta, where the snow has all melted, the
grass is green and the berry trees have managed to hang onto most of their
blossoms.

Brenda K.
Leslieville