[RC] Horse Accident - Kathleen

I would follow up on the clavicle treatment if I were you.  Years ago (back in the 80’s) early in my endurance career my horse stepped in a hole at a canter on a conditioning ride and flipped head over heels.  I was thrown clear but hit on my right shoulder and rolled.  All I could think about was my horse – I was terrified she had broken her leg as I saw her foot go into the hole right as it happened.  She was ok and amazingly my saddle didn’t even have a scratch.  I am sure she could have used a massage therapist and a chiropractor after that accident but at that time we didn’t even know about such modalities.  She got a couple weeks off and then returned to a successful endurance career.

Once I had checked her, I looked down at myself and noticed my right arm was in the “classic” position for a broken collar bone (had just finished first aid the week before) and then felt the pain in my shoulder and started to get nauseated.  Luckily I wasn’t riding alone and my partner lifted me onto the horse and walked next to me to get me back to the barn and then on to the emergency room.  I remember being upset because they had to cut one of my favorite ride sweatshirts off me to examine my injuries.  I ended up with a badly separated shoulder and broken clavicle along with lots of abrasions and contusions.  I spent a week (this accident occurred the first day of spring break so I didn’t miss any classes) in bed on pain meds and then returned to work.  My poor students had to put up with left handed notes and grading comments the rest of the year!  I still laugh when I come across some of those left handed lesson plans in my resources.

My mare and I had grown up together and we trusted each other implicitly so I actually did a 50 mile ride on her 6 weeks later with my arm still in the brace/sling…wouldn’t do something like that now—ahh, the folly of youth J

The long term repercussions have been a right shoulder that is significantly lower than the left and causes minor irritations like my bra strap won’t stay up to major irritations like my whole arm goes numb when in certain positions such as typing.  It also keeps my chiropractor busy keeping me from seizing up in other places in my back.  Take the time to fix it so you won’t have to wear a Racer Back bra the rest of your life! J

Kathleen Ferguson

PS  I was terrified for years when I would ride through areas with holes in them.  I agree with Angie—you just have to keep riding through your fear and try to relax and not upset your horse and eventually you get back to normal.  Centered riding classes gave me some relaxation techniques to use when I felt myself tense up.