[RC] My Horse Accident at Washoe Valley - Cloudbj

Two weeks ago, while riding at the Washoe Valley Endurance Ride in Nevada, I had a major horse accident.  Day 1 went perfect; beautiful weather, great trails, fun people.  Day 2 had all the promises of the prior day.  For the last two years, my little mare and I have been working on correcting her irritating head tossing, and as a consequence of the head tossing, her occasional stumbling.  We have been taking lessons, watching Clinton Anderson on RFD channel, Annual dental checkups, working on lateral flexion, bending & circles; trying out softer bits, I had checked the saddle fit in December, all without seeing much improvement.  She head tossed throughout the first 50 miles on Day 1 and into the first 25 miles of the second day.  When we left out on the second loop of the second day, she finally dropped her head and relaxed.  We did a lot of walking on that 18-mile loop, and as we were descending off the mountain and heading into camp (mile 41) she tripped at a walk, I lost my balance, and fell off to the left side of her landing on my left side and stomach.  I don’t know what happened next, but as I started to lift myself off the ground, she crashed on top of me.  She slammed on top of my back, neck, and head.  Her weight drove my face into the sand and loose rocks. Then she scrambled onto her feet. My nose immediately started to bleed, and I couldn’t get my breath.  I laid in the trail for a few minutes hoping for another rider to come along, but there was no one.  When I got to my feet I knew there was no way I would be able to finish the nine miles, and of course my mare decided she had had enough of me and headed into camp without me.  So I started walking down the trail holding my left side.  I figured I must have walked an eighth of a mile or so when Gina Hall came up the trail on her ATV. What a lifesaver!  She helped me on and drove me into camp. It kind of gets blurry at this point, but my husband, Bill picked me up and put me in a jeep; Connie Creech’s husband, Kenny drove us to the Carson City Hospital emergency room where they stabilized me, and from there I was air lifted by helicopter to the trauma center in Reno.  I was lucky; my helmet saved my life.  It was indented, crushed in on my head, and split on both sides by my ears. I only suffered 5 fractured ribs, a fracture of the left clavicle, and a fractured left scapula.  The doctors told me how lucky I was, they wanted to keep my helmet, but I wanted it.  I was kept over night for observation, and released on Monday, May 14th.  My little mare was unharmed; thank you to the person who caught and escorted her across the road and into camp; and for Jamie Kerr who took care of her in camp while I was in Reno.

Gina loaned my husband her car so he could drive to Reno, while our rig, horse, and dogs stayed at Gina’s.  We drove the five hours home with me on my pain medication.  I have missed two weeks of work, and am planning on returning after Memorial Day to finish my grades and give my finals.  I want to attend our high school graduation June 1st to say goodbye to my senior students.

This experience has humbled me in many ways.  First, I can’t get over the wreckage of a trip at the WALK!  Thank God for my $40.00 International Helmet.  And thank you to the endurance community who cared about me and sent get well cards, emails, and phone calls.  I have been forever changed.  In the movie “Signs”, Mel Gibson said there are two types of people, those who believe there are no coincidences, and those who believe in luck.  Gina told me, this was the first year she brought her own ATV to the ride.  We were ten minutes by helicopter from a trauma center.  My helmet protected my head.  I believe there are no coincidences - God was with me.

Jane Cloud

See what's free at AOL.com.