From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 7:25 AM
To: Sisu West Ranch
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; David LeBlanc
Subject: RE: [RC] Percentage body weight (was: Dainty horses)

Only if the rider allows the horse to travel unbalanced and heavy on the forehand (unfortunately, not an uncommon scenario in our sport) or if the horse is built in such a way (long back, weak loin--all too common in modern breeding in many breeds) that it is difficult for him to travel in balance.  A horse traveling downhill with his hindquarters properly engaged puts most of the stress on his hind end--in fact, if he trips, he will trip on his hind feet, and if he gets sore, it will be in the big muscles in the backs of his thighs.   I've been blessed to ride some very capable "downhill" horses who could travel downhill like greased eels at a considerable rate of speed with their backs well-rounded and their hindquarters fully engaged.  They are a joy to ride, very safe to ride at speed downhill, and they put very little stress on their forehands.  That said, you do need to condition them downhill, so that those specific muscles don't get sore.

Heidi

It is a common horseman's observation that down hill at speed is hard
on a
horse's front end.  (I have always trained on this assumption, but never
seen "proof").
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=