[RC] Knee Replacement and Riding - Bruce Weary

Can you expect to ride again after knee replacement? The definite answer is..............it depends. On a lot of things. Here are some of those things: 1) The clinical reasons you have the replacement done (fracture, osteoarthritis, infection, cartilage thinning etc.,.) 2) Your physical condition and history before the procedure 3) The extent and success of the procedure 4) The stability of the joint after the procedure 5) The extent and result of your post-op rehab, and the list goes on. There is a general agreement among most orthopedic surgeons (with caveats) that many people can return to such activities as hiking, swimming, cycling, and, yes, horseback riding. They aren't usually aware of the rigors involved in endurance riding per se, however. They may think horseback riding just involves a leisurely ride across a meadow for an hour or two. So, again, it depends.
Now might be a good time to put in a plug for what I predict will steadily become more popular in the future, even in endurance riding-- the gaited horse. There have been and currently are several good gaited horses in our sport. Julie Suhr finished Tevis on her cherished Peruvian mare, Marinera. Sue Walz has completed Tevis on her 16 hand Kentucky Mountain Saddle Horse at least three times, and finished near the top 20 last year, I think. I have enjoyed much success on my foxtrotter mare, and will take her to Teivs this year. I have also enjoyed very high completion rates on several other gaited horses. Karl Phaler has a very tough, seemingly unstoppable Spotted Saddle Horse that has over 2,200 miles. I see more gaited horses in the LD ranks, and I am certain the trend will continue, as we are all getting older, and increasing numbers of us are showing up at rides with old joint injuries, arthritis and joint replacements. I have found that it takes longer to condition a gaited breed, but with proper care and conditioning they can not only complete, they can compete.
If I had a knee replacement, I would attack my rehab like Rocky Balboa, and find the best gaited horse to keep taking me down those trails that I love so much.
FWIW, Dr Q