[RC] Sued for "Speed" - Peggy B-Smith

Here where I live, 99.9% of the riders are pleasure riders.  We have a lot of flat, open areas on the valley floor where most of them ride. Some ride on the lower hills and a very few up higher.
I am always extremely careful to not trot around a blind corner or where I think there might be another rider - or hiker.  Bikes are not allowed on our trails.
I also do not trot up to anyone riding on the trail. I walk up and ask nicely if I can pass and if it will bother their horse if I continue trotting ahead of them. Sounds extreme, but we have a lot of people here who are not confident riders.

But on the other hand, I was riding up a popular little canyon here and slowed to a walk around a turn. Just me walking, slowly, around the turn, caused another rider's horse to spook and spin and she fell off. She didn't blame me - not that I did anything wrong - but was more embarrassed she fell off!
So - it doesn't take speed to cause a problem with some horses.
My horse, who is used to just about everything, almost dumped me the other day when some ducks flew out of a creek - just depends on what mood she's in!

Peggy Bergman-Smith
Bear Valley Springs, CA