[RC] LBL Express 2007 Ride Story Pt 1 of 2 - April

Illustrated version: http://endurancerider.blogspot.com

Part 1

Wednesday afternoon, Daniel and I arrived at Land Between the Lakes'
Wranglers Campground in Kentucky. Daniel set up Tanna's metal corral
around the high line area while I busied myself getting other stuff
settled. Then we headed to the restaurant for a yummy supper (that I
didn't have to cook or clean up after!).

The weather was absolutely beautiful and the forecast called for high
70s and NO RAIN. What a nice weekend was ahead of us! That night was a
little chilly. I had neglected to cover Tanna so he got his cooler on
in the morning as soon as I woke up. He seemed to be doing fine, but I
left the cooler on him until the sun got higher up and the day got a
little warmer.

Daniel disappeared to scout out places to take pictures on Friday and
I took a nice warm shower in the nearby showerhouse. I hung out with
the cat until Daniel returned, taking full advantage of our extra
vacation day. We headed for breakfast at the restaurant and then to
visit Teddy of Running Bear. I couldn't think of a single thing I
needed from Teddy, but it was fun looking around and talking.

Back to the trailer to start getting my stuff ready for the vet
checks. LBL has a 4 loop 50 with 2 away checks (in the same place) and
then another check back near camp. I gathered water buckets, hay,
apples and carrots for both checks. I decided to leave my saddle rack
and a folding chair at the check near camp as well. I took stuff out
of my large vet check bag and placed it into a smaller duffle bag that
I would send out on the crewless truck.

I spent at least a half hour working on my hand-held heart rate
monitor trying to get it to work. I had purchased a handle from Roger
Rittenhouse (www.vmaxept.com) at Trace Tribute, but hadn't gotten it
set up yet. I had a CardioSport Fusion HRM transmitter and watch. The
transmitter worked nicely (could verify with my Garmin Forerunner
301), but I couldn't get the Fusion watch to pick up the signal. The
watch battery was fine. Finally, after some frustration, I discovered
the exact button I had to push and HOLD in order to get the watch to
listen to the transmitter. I immediately lept up and went to play with
it on my horse.

Daniel had been helping me and also showed me where to take Tanna's
pulse manually on his jaw. Since I had the HRM working, I wanted to
figure out how to use that and exactly where to place it on Tanna. I'm
quite familiar with on-board HRM, but the handhelds I have no
experience with. After several more minutes, I decided I had it down
enough and stopped.

Back to the restaurant for lunch (boy, was I getting spoiled!) and
then over to register. We got a nice thick entry pack with flyers and
catalogs and a nice small sweat scraper. I really like small sweat
scrapers! Easy to throw in a pack.

Daniel and I had brought two trucks. We had the big 3500 that pulled
the horse trailer and has our camper on it. But we also brought my
new-to-me Toyota commuting truck so that Daniel could easily get
around while he was taking pictures on ride day. I took that truck and
went to set up my vet check areas.

By the time I was done with that, it was time to vet in. I usually
don't put my horse's number on him until the morning of a ride. But
this time, I decided to go ahead and put his number on. I put 102 in
big bold blue numbers on both sides of his rump. When I got to the vet
in, I was faced with Debra LaComette's Rev, also with a nice 102
painted on him! Oops! I said I'd go get a new number when I got done
vetting in. Tanna vetted in nicely with all As. His heart rate was a
little elevated for him at 50. He's normally 42 or 44 on vet in.
Everything else was a go, though.

When I got done vetting in, Nancy Gooch, our honored timer, arrived
with the SERA scales. So I hung around while that was put together.
Tanna weighed in at 794. Very respectable weight for him.

Before I left, a volunteer from the vet check told me my new number
was 101. She had very nicely gone back to the registration desk and
gotten my new number for me! How sweet was that? :-)

I took Tanna back to his pen and I continued getting everything ready
for the big ride day. Finally I was done and spent some more time just
hanging out and relaxing while waiting for the ride meeting.

The ride meeting went well and as expected. Forty minute holds, 64
pulse (except 60 for the LD finish per the rules), tack on at the
first check due to chilly weather and a wind. Dr. Otis was the head
vet, assisted by three other vets. 50 milers (19 of them) were to
start at 6:30 AM CDT. 25 milers (26 of those) were to start at 7:30
AM. The 50 milers would take a combination of trail (including the
knee-knocker -- KK -- trail!) and gravel road to the vet check. Then
out for a loop and back into the vet check. Back to camp for the 3rd
vet check. And a final loop back into camp for the finish. The 25
milers would do the first and third loops of the 50s.

After the ride meeting, I made supper, did a few last minute things
and off to bed.

to be continued...

April
Nashville, TN