Re: Re: [RC] re: OD shoeing/pads - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Roxanne,

  I have used the Equibuild and Equipak at just the pad...with the mesh but with no other pad.  In fact, I did a 2 day ride in the Ozarks of MO....and padded one horse with traditional padding, the other with the Equibuild/mesh.  Ran the ride both days (50 each day) and the trail is over tons of flint rocks.   The traditional pads were literally "sliced" and somewhat shredded, but the Equibuild was only "dinged and dented".  It made a real believer out of me.    I never use the Vettec products as the "pour in"...meaning I shoe knowing that I am going to use it, therefore, putting the mesh in place.  I don't know that I would trust it enough to just pour it in and have it stay.  I have done this once, and one foot stayed, the other didn't.  That was the first time I ever used it, and it was on a horse that has rather flat soles, so she wouldn't tend to hold it well without mesh anyway.
Now, I am chicken to use the Luwex without something under it.  I just really, really don't want to have to think about shoes at a ride.  I want to go to the ride, have everything in place on the feet, and me just think about the ride.  Not that it can't work, it must be working for you and others.  Plus, you have to remember, I am shoeing my horses about every 3-4 weeks, sometimes on just 2 weeks.  I change up shoes and what I have on them from ride to ride....one of the luxuries of being your own farrier.     So, just because I pad for one ride, doesn't mean that the pad are on there holding in moisture until the next shoeing at 4-5 weeks or so.  I may pull them off in 2 weeks.

Jody

koppj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Jody-

When I used the Equipak or the Equibuild I was using that as the pad, not under a pad. Do you always use a pad and put the pour in between the pad and sole? I also like the Luwex because of the possible absorbtion of concussion but I don't know for a fact that the pad does that. I like the Luwex because you don't have to use any packing material between the pad and the sole which allows air flow. Do you ever just use the Luwex pad alone or do you always use a packing material?

I appreciate your imput, thanks.

Roxanne