[RC] rider weight studies, part 1 - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

Tried to send this in one big post, but got it slung back at me, so I’ll try again in smaller pieces.

I haven’t been on RC lately, but thought I’d de-lurk and add a few comments to the current thread concerning my Tevis studies.  Although, it sounds like everyone already has a pretty good handle on what the results concluded.

Ed, you commented:

>This type of statistical result, that is one that does not make sense intuitively, >raises caution flags to me. It causes me to wonder if it is a correlation of an >accidental nature and not a cause and effect.

I was initially surprised at the results as well, but as Truman will attest, you let your data tell you what your results are, you don’t plan your results and make the data fit your preplanned ideas.  Over several years of data collection, I eventually ended up with over 1200 data points that all supported the original conclusion---the higher the total mass is over a combined weight of 1200 lbs, the more likely you are to pull due to a lameness issue.  Note that there is not a clear cut defining line---ie, it’s not like a horse and rider team weighing 1250 lbs will magically attain 100% completion rates simply by dropping 100 lbs.  It’s just that the upward trend starts to markedly shift upward right around 1200 lbs.  But the statistics were solid, and were checked pretty darn closely by a number of physiologists and statisticians in the field a lot smarter than I am before it was approved for publication in the peer-reviewed journal(s).

>I can see how heavier horses possibly could be at a disadvantage, but I don't see why >the carrying of a lower percentage of body weight than a lighter horse would put them >into a further disadvantage.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you, but I don’t think that conclusion was drawn.  The conclusion that is drawn in the study is that all other things being equal (as far as those parameters which could be quantitatively measured), a horse and rider team carrying heavier total weight is at a disadvantage over a horse/rider team carrying less weight, REGARDLESS of how the weight is divided between horse and rider (within reason).  Example, a 1200 lb horse carrying a 200 lb rider, carrying less than 17% of his body weight, is still at a biomechanical disadvantage over a 900 horse carrying the same rider, even though the smaller horse is carrying over 22% of his body weight.

This assumes that both horses are at a similar body condition score, which presumably provides adequate body fat and intramuscular glycogen stores for the job at hand.  The disadvantage shifts if the 1200 lb horse is in good body condition, but the 900 lb horse is excessively thin and underweight---that is, a horse that in good condition should probably weigh several hundred pounds more than he does.  In that case, even though total mass is less than the 1200 lb horse, the thin horse is at higher risk of metabolic failure (and this seems to be a stronger influence than the total mass biomechanical influence), and ALSO at higher risk of lameness secondary to metabolic failure (ie, tying up, cramping, etc).

Continued in Part 2…

Susan G