Re: [RC] Percentage body weight (was: Dainty horses) - Sisu West Ranch

"...Where in the study (and which one) did you read about the combined
body weight?  I just re-read both studies, and I couldn't find it...."

This type of statistical result, that is one that does not make sense intuitively, raises caution flags to me. It causes me to wonder if it is a correlation of an accidental nature and not a cause and effect.

I can see how heavier horses possibly could be at a disadvantage, but I don't see why the carrying of a lower percentage of body weight than a lighter horse would put them into a further disadvantage.

If I were looking at this type of result I would further look to see if there was an underlying selection factor. For example 1100 lb horses may be more likely to be selected by heavyweights than featherweights etc.

Please remember, I am not formally statistically trained. I did however use statistics to guide my research for 30 years. During this time I ran into a whole bunch of correlations that were not good at predicting anything. In my line of work I had the ability, and reason to look deeper and find out what really was going on. Things suddenly would become clear when the real cause and effect was found. Finding the real cause and effect is much harder with biological systems and even worse when actual controlled experiments can not be done. Figuring out what really happens on the endurance trail is about as hard as it comes.

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640