Re: [RC] [AERCMembersForum] Other thoughts to protect horses - Truman Prevatt

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hey Angie,

Why don't you tell us how you really feel ;-) . This just gets riper with age. So far I have not seen anyone address the "finish line a mile out" issue. The proposers must feel if they don't address it - it will go away. I guess we will just have to cancel the BSF and disappoint those that have come to love this ride because the finish line is too far out to fit within AERC rules :-\ . Hopefully this bonehead proposal is DOA at the board.

Truman

>>I submit, that it is more likely that we will improve final vet
procedures by requiring a 10 min CRI for all horses not just the top
ten.

10 minutes from what? 10 minutes from their finish time? Last time I
noticed the winners had a 15 min. CRI and the vets I know find
working that in irritating to deal with. It's a real problem refusing
to do a BC score on the horse that doesn't show up right in time for
the 15 min CRI since it HAS to be at 15 min. This is often while MANY
horses are trying to vet through to continue the ride and vets are
having to have the winners break line to make sure they do the CRI
right on time. If it's a completion frequirement, are you going to
pull the ones who show up 12 min. after their completion? Do they
have to break in front of those who are headed back out?

What about the mile away finish line? It is HOT more often than not
at the finish of Big South Fork. I'll have to trot fast one mile from
the finish to the vet check. The water has to be brought from a
campground down the road so it's hauled in the night before. There's
no shade so your water has been heating in the sun all day. You want
me to hurry my horse the mile from the finish line, stand out in the
sun, cool him with hot water (which doesn't evaporate around here
folks), stop before he makes criteria (actually, I doubt I'll make it
in from the finish line by then but whatever) and get in line for a
10 min. CRI, get back out apply more hot water and have him down for
my 30 min. (which is actually closer to 5 min. recovery time since I
had a mile to go and had to stop for the CRI)for a friggin middle of
the pack completion? This is
sounding less fun all the time. Is ANYBODY thinking this stuff
through before they propose it?

Vets ALWAYS have the option of a CRI and from what I see they use it
when they have any uneasiness at all about a horse's condition. Why
are we seeing how many unnecessary requirements we can throw at the
vets at a time when they're already short handed due to judging BC as
the bulk of the riders come in for completions?

You know exactly which riders you're hoping this will catch. Why
don't you just tell the vets to declare their horses unfit to
continue regardless of pulse (that isn't the only criteria you know)
pull their sorry hides, and let everyone else finish the darned ride,
vet through and go to our trailers without hassle?

Angie

--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil