[RC] Barbaro - Patricia Israelson

I'll add my 2 cents worth here.  I don't see why Barbaro can't live cover a mare ---IF--- the laminitis heals reasonably well.  The break in his right foot isn't the issue here; that has healed remarkably well.  It's the laminitis in the left foot that is the issue.  I know laminitis is hard to heal....I have an old pony (I think she came off of the Ark) who foundered in all four feet before I got her.  I put an excellent farrier to work on her, keep her trimmed regularly and give her joint medicine for her aches and pains.  If she is showing signs of major discomfort I will give her a little bute.  She's fine, every so often we put a saddle on her and let her teach a little kid how to ride.  She's happy and so are we.  I couldn't see putting her down because she had foundered when her life is very good right now.  Granted, Barbaro might do nothing more than be a Pasture Potato, and if he can get some breeding done on the side, well life would be pretty good.....from a guy's point of view.  I hope he is around for a long, long time.  I like happy endings.

Patty Israelson