Re: [RC] Question for RC. - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

What are "thumps"?  How do you treat them and what causes them?

This is from memory so open for correction

Thumps: also known as Synchronous Diaphragmatic Flutter. Happens when
the horse's body becomes alkaline and the nerve that runs across the
heart and back to the left flank becomes hypersensitive. When that
happens, each time the heart beats the nerve fires causing a twitch
to the left flank (just picture being able to watch your horse's
heartbeat on the left flank). Thumps in and of itself is not a
problem, it is an indicator of a problem, that the body is out of
whack. Think of it as a red light on the dashboard of your car.
Adding calcium is the preventative, thus if your horse is eating
alfalfa at the ride he probably won't get thumps. If your horse eats
lots of alfalfa every day of his life, but not at a ride, and is kind
of lazy about utilizing calcium (it's spoiled)  it's more likely to
get thumps.

The time my horse got them I had given him the kind of electrolytes
you get for a foal with scours or whatever. They happen to be
*acidic*. By giving them to my horse I probably made him become
alkaline...I tried to prevent a fire by dousing with gasoline in
other words. That's why you buy ENDURANCE electrolytes or make your
own but don't use the store brands.

How's that vets? Close enough for volunteer work?
Angie