RE: [RC] What IS the proposal? - heidi

Is the proposal that is being discussed a proposal to require horses to
meet criteria within 30 minutes or to require horses to pass their final
vet check within 30 minutes?

People are discussing both as if they were the same thing.  They are
not.

As I understood it, the original proposal that was thrown out for discussion was having the horse be deemed fit to continue (ie the entire vet check) within 30 minutes.  The concept of having only the pulse requirement met within 30 minutes and still having an hour for a full exam was proposed as a variation--and IMO it is a sensible one.

Personally, I haven't seen anybody state what problems might be
addressed other than Heidi who has "some impression" that there are some
horses out there that aren't recovering within 30 minutes that are
recovering within 60 minutes who are then later in their lives
experiencing long term metabolic problems.  When asked to provide
substantiation for this impression, she cannot (or at least, she has
not).
I did interject several posts back that I knew of two horses that were slow to reach pulse criteria at rides due to exhaustion that died later in the season--to clarify, these were both horses that were ridden hard and were repeatedly slow to recover at multiple rides, and who died in the fall or early winter.  But then perhaps death in two such horses over the years does not count as "substantiation" for my impression in your book??

She has also asserted that she doesn't think that anybody will be
inconvenienced.  She is wrong.  _I_ will be inconvenienced.  The way the
rule is now, I do not need to concern myself at all with how long it
takes me to get from the finish line to the finish check because an hour
is more than enough time no matter what circumstances I or ride
management may encounter.

Well, gee, kat, if you want to get technical, I personally am "inconvenienced" by having to present my horse post-ride at all.  I would FAR rather just go back to my rig, untack and clean up my horse, and kick back with a cold beverage and something to eat.  Would you feel better if I changed my verbiage to read that no one would be presented with an undue hardship?  Not having to concern yourself about getting back for the check is kind of in the same league as not having to concern yourself with watching for trail markings, and then being "inconvenienced" when you have to get back on course...

Heidi
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=