RE: [RC] Thanks, Leonard - Leonard.Liesens

Do dot thank me Bruce. It is just because I like american endurance :-) well, many european riders laught with me because they find I'm a bit too much 'american minded'... Just because they are jaleous about a guy having completed the Tevis :-)

It was just a joke.

My brain is not better than many high level frenchies riders, you know... just the fact that I understand and speak your language and try to watch desperate housewives or 16feet under in original version...

I do not want to comment about US endurance riders. I can just say that there is still a lot of 'fair play' in your country. Try to keep that, it is refreshing!

Electrolytes... that is really the question not to be asked. Sorry to shout but WE DO NOT USE ELYTES... make the calculation : a horse looses 30 a 40 liters on a ride (160K)... OK. In terms of EL, that would mean 300grammes. OK? what is the amount of EL in one dose of regular EL? So how many of them would we need to throw in the horse to compensate?

I must confess that I was using EL (remember in the beginning of my post... american endurance lover:-)  to copy the american system, then I gavejust one dose at the hold, then most of the time I forgot, and I didn't see any change... So I quit.

No one in the french team is giving EL. I mean under our climates. I'm pretty sure that Georgat (remember, World Champion) didn't receive any at Dubai... horse was uner Pierre Cazes management, who was against EL.

Leonard, Belgium

PS : interesting conversation... currently leaving my office in Brussels and heading back home... allow me a one hour hold please

Thank you, Leonard, for your input. It is very revealing, and you are clearly ahead of us in understanding the needs of horses ridden at higher levels. I'm certain there's something each of us can learn from your post.
You realize, of course, you will be inundated now with both public and private emails wanting to pick your brain. You can be a great resource. But, please pace yourself. I don't want to find you in some dark alley in Brussels, dead, with your brain picked clean. Us endurance riders can be pretty aggressive with our questions. Consider yourself warned.
I will be glad to be the first to offend--What's the current trend and attitiude over there regarding electrolye dosing? Thanks again, Bruce