Re: [RC] Question for Non-Arab owners re: Pulse rates - Sisu West Ranch

"....but would a 60 or 56 within 30 minutes make it harder for some of the non-Arab breeds to complete?...."

I have two horses worth of experience with that.  The answer is: (drum roll, please)

"It depends....."

I rode a speed QH and a Paint in both CTR and endurance.  I found that I had to do more conditioning (LSD to build stamina, wind sprints to slow heart) than with Arabians.

In addition, on hot humid MW days under conditions where the Arabian CTR horses were between 36 and 42 my horses were between 48-56.  They just had more problems cooling off. (But remember in UMECRA CTR* there is no sponging allowed, and the pulses are taken exactly (as is humanly possible) 10 minutes after entry to the hold.

As I posted a month or so ago, last fall when I PR'd, I found that it was not the leaders who took a long time to come down it was those at the back of the pack.  Lack of conditioning? (that is fast work??)

Please note:
These suspicions are not quantified, or statistically checked.  Your mileage may vary.  Closed course, professional riders.  Use horses responsibly.  See your vet if symptoms persist or get worse.  Points earned are in the top 1% of all participants.  Other rules may be capable of offering more protection.

Ed

*CTR = competitive trail riding.  UMECRA rules call it simply Competitive riding.

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640