[RC] Checking the back - Michael Maul

Our vets (CT) flip the saddle up at the back of the saddle - feel under the saddle and seem to come up with good results checking our horses backs. If you loosen your horse's girth as many do anyway, this could be even easier.

They also look at the girth area. While I don't have any statistics to support this - I don't think the CT region is incurring any problems doing checking backs this way. it's certainly as humid as the SE region so that's not a difference.

It seems to work well for us. In all the NM rides I've been to - they don't ask for the tack to be removed either. Works well there too.

A few riders in the CT do remove their tack because they feel their horses come down faster that way. There may be other reasons too for this.

I think this is one of those personal vet preferences that someone started a long time ago and succeeding vets learned from the experienced vets in their region. This *can* change if your vets agree to try it.

The only times in my life I've *ever* had a crew have been Tevis so it really helps me. In the CT region there can often be mud and taking your tack off at the check can be a pain. Out west it's drier and I would take it off at the check and put it back on to get to my trailer.

This is just my view though and not an "official" AERC position though.....:-)

Mike