[RC] New member intro - long rider - Robin McGee

A friend of mine forwards a lot of good ideas to me from this list, so I'd like to see what else is here that I'm missing.

I'm preparing to take off on a cross-country ride from Denver CO to Washington DC. Not the typical "endurance ride", but it seems like enough similarities to glean a lot of useful information from the postings here.

I have two matched sorrel pintos, a 10 yr old 1/2 TB, 1/4 draft mare and a 9 yr old 1/2 Belgian gelding. The gelding Apollo has a history of abuse which leaves him prone to flashbacks/panic attacks. When they happen, you really don't want to be on his back, because you're not going to be there for long! He seems to like the view from behind, so he does just fine as a pack horse. He still gets startled/scared sometimes, but having a lead rope attached to someone on the ground seems to help him return to his senses before he goes into full-blown panic mode. I hope that the daily miles and togetherness will help to change his mind about being in human company.

My mare Della's Pistol was 2 yr old and just halter broke when I got her, so I didn't have anything to undo with her. I just started and trained her to be the kind of horse I like to have. She's solid and steady in most any situation, and she expects only good from humans. She rides nicely, even with the added responsibility of ponying an occasionally spooky horse behind, with just a rope halter with a leather noseband pad to reduce the pressure points of the knots. I just don't like the idea of risking a snatch on her mouth if Apollo should require me to focus on his issues instead of light hands, so the halter works for us. She doesn't like to drink with a bit in, either. I snap the reins individually onto the tie loops at the bottom of the halter. A separate bridle with a bit is just more, extraneous junk to deal with on the road. I am packing a snaffle with cheekpieces that snap into rings on the halter, for when we get a chance to play at more academic, "dressagey" riding.

We're probably going to travel across northern Kansas and Missouri, central Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio, and northern W. Virginia and Virginia. If you're along or near that route, drop me a line and perhaps we can meet up in person. I have mobile email, so I'll be accessible along the road.

I hope to raise awareness and funds for horse rescue groups and therapeutic riding programs along the way. I welcome ideas for fundraising. I want to teach groups of people how to make tied-rope halters, then donate the practice halters to local equine non-profit groups. If you'd like to host a halter-making party, email me and we'll see about arrangements.

Hossgal(at)tmail.com

The ponykids are barefoot, for a variety of reasons. One biggie is that I don't have to worry about losing a shoe and finding a kind, competent farrier in a strange place. It's hard enough to find one of those at home! That is one of the most-reported problems of long riders. I just carry a few tools and maintain them myself, touching up and balancing every few days or so.

Della's hooves were pretty short, especially the toes in front, when we started conditioning for the ride. For now, I'm keeping her in Easyboots with Dome pads inside for all riding, and bare in the pasture. I'm sure as her toes grow out she'll get to the point where she won't need the boots. They seem to be growing out quickly; I nibble her heels down 1/8" - 1/4" once a week or so. I've ridden her barefoot and been learning to trim for 5 years, so her hooves are well conditioned, with healthy hoof mechanism and internal structures.

On the other hand, traveling on the same paved and roadside gravel surfaces as Della, I can't seem to trim Apollo often enough keep up with his hoof growth, so perhaps he won't need to wear his boots, but I'll carry a pair in his size (3! big ol' Belgian platter-paws!) just in case.

My horses' comfort and soundness are my paramount concern on this ride. The biggest factor in creating a barefoot-sound horse is consistent mileage and footing. If a horse is ridden once a week for a mile in grassy fields, that's all s/he'll be sound for. If a horse lives in a box stall full of shavings 24/7 and is taken out once a month for a 20 mile ride on rocks, it better have shoes or it's going to be one sore-footed horse. (It'll be plenty body sore, regardless of hoof care!) On the other hand, averaging 25-35 miles per riding day, 5-6 days a week, ought to give them plenty opportunity to acclimate to the work. I read of another long rider whose barefoot horse required power tools to trim its feet at the end of her ride. They became just that tough and hard. With consistent conditioning (like riding down the road every day), they can adapt to almost any conditions.

I look forward to getting to know you all and learning from your combined experience.

Happy trails,

Robin McGee