Kathy

From: "Chris Paus" <chrisnstar@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Did you all see that little 14H pony that Karen O' Conner rode at Rolex??????? Don't discount small horses!

A friend of mine, Marybelle Cooper, who has lots and lots of AERC and CTR miles and has been in this sport for decades, won a lot of AHA awards with a tiny little Arab mare. That mare could just go and go and they were a heck of a team. The mare was well into her 20s when Marybelle finally retired her.

I bought a horse 6years ago that people laughed at. He has terrible conformation. Looks like he was put together by committee. He was narrow chested, calf kneed, cow hocked and saggy backed at age 5. Had a pointy flat butt.

Well, after a few months of hill climbing, carrying a heavyweight rider, that horse looked completely different! He developed nice round butt muscles which improved the cowhockedness a lot. His chest developed stronger which improved the calf knee issue. The horse is an awesome little guy who just won't quit on you. He's my grandson's horse now, but I ride him as a backup.

When I first got this horse goofy looking horse. So many people told me I made a mistake, except my farrier. He looked at this horse and said, "there's your Tevis horse."

I haven't done Tevis with him, but have done a lot of CTR and he's filled in when STar's been out of commission.

""Let your efforts rise above your excuses," Denny Emerson, Gold Medal Olympic equestrian

Chris

BayRab Acres http://pages.prodigy.net/paus

Lake RegionSWA http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com