[RC] Our Biltmore - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Ok folks,

  Angie and Bill have done a great job of posting on the Biltmore....for sure while trying to ride in the mud, muck, slop and rain.  Yes, it was wet, yes it was slick and yes it was the expected norm for the Biltmore weather.  I have been there for the last three years now, and the first year was the only dry one.  Maybe next year.  ;-)

Thanks to Josie for taking great care of Rose.  I understand that she was in tears at the 70 mile mark thinking she might not finish.  Or maybe thinking that if Rose was hurt I would kill her.   Don't worry about that, Joel was keeping me on a very short leash, if I started to spout off about "my good horse", I would get this evil look from him that meant to shut up and not hurt Josie's feelings.   So, Don't feel bad Josie, I was in tears too coming into the 86 miles when I knew I was going to have to pull.

 But, like I said, Rose is a steady eddy and gets the job done.   Nothing personal Josie, but your more than welcome to ride Aries in the OD 100 and the 100's this fall.  I'm taking Rose back.  Even if it does mean ice water at OD and a slower pace.  I was really missing my "spots" this weekend, and the feel of that power drive butt of hers.  Aries just doesn't have that engine.

Thanks go out to Stagg and Cheryl and all of the staff and vets.  So many people worked so hard and stayed up late.  We had a really great time waiting at the finish line with about 15 or so others for our riders to come in.  We got down right mean picking at each other at times...and you know what I mean Joe and Susan  !!!

A very special thanks goes out to Julie Jackson.  She was so nice and helpful for picking up Joni and Cash at the last VC and bringing them safely into the finish for me.  THANK YOU JULIE.

Another special thank you goes to Tom Gower, who despite going for his COC was still willing to take Joni for the last loop.  Now that is really being willing to help out a junior.  What a nice man.  I just felt it would have been WAY too much to ask, and there was no need in Joni and Cash ( TWH half can't stand up in slick mud)  to be flying thru the dark and mud when Cash wasn't needing to finish that fast.  I had visions of Cash and Joni rolling down a hill....not good.

Another thanks to the Super crew team of Joel and Laurie Underwood.   Joel "has to" crew for us, but Laurie doesn't.  She drove 5 hours up from Augusta, GA to work in the rain, sleep in a wet bed (her tent leaked) and bring me CHEESECAKE.   I think I have her crew trained totally for my ponies now.  She has crewed 3 100's for  us, and now knows how we do our thing and knows the ponies pretty well too.  And anybody that will crew or just be around Cash Pony needs praise.  He is a monster.  But I love that little guy !!!!!

Well, everyones back home in the pasture and looking great.  They all trotted off last night when we got home and turned them out.  I suppose finishing 2 out of 3 in a really muddy 100 isn't too bad.  So, we are OD bound next and I think I may actually want it to rain there....and cool things off.

Jody, Joni, Joel and the ponies, Rose, Aries and Cash.

Bored stiff? Loosen up...