[RC] Biltmore story part 2 - rides2far

Got back to our crew tent and Josie was in tears. Seems her vet had kept
her card. He didn't care for the way Rose was "setting her mouth,
wrinkling her lips" and thought the 64/64 CRI was reason for concern.
Well, my first impression was, "You've gotta be kidding...she's a PAINT,
with pink skin, permanent sunburn wrinkles around the mouth and she's had
that look as long as I've known her. I think it means, "I'm Rose, I know
my job, bug off". Jody had warned us her pulse would always look high by
the Arabs, but I was really wishing she was there to make the call and
tell us, "She's fine, she's always like that and has done OD and a lot
more just that way".  Joel made the call for us. Her pulse was soon 48 in
the tent, but when we went back for the re-check the vet said she was 60.
Another vet immediately checked and said 52. Meanwhile Josie's in tears
because she wants to RIDE IN THE DARK! It made me feel much better to
have vets who knew the horse discuss her with the FEI trainee guy, then
he cleared her to go. whew.

This was going to be the first time Josie had ridden without a sponsor or
me, or in the dark, and she couldn't stand the idea of missing it. She
had heard me tell stories of riding in the dark at Biltmore for years,
riding past the prom in the restaurant, etc. and that's all she'd looked
forward to all day. Gotta say I was proud of her as she trotted out of
camp alone with 2 flashlights in her pack and a breastcollar light
strapped on & ready.

Little note here about the sort of guy Steve Rojek, the winner is.  Jody
Buttram told me that on her next to last loop she & Joni were dragging
along since the mud had gotten to Aries and she was just *tired* (do NOT
get Jody started about how she loaned Josie her GOOD HORSE and that's
where she messed up!)  Anyway, they're easing down the single track trail
and she heard a horse come up behind them. In a bit she yelled back, "You
want to pass?" and someone said, "Oh when it's handy, no hurry". "She
said, we can "make room" and they got off the trail. When he trotted by
she realized it was Steve, who was in the lead and he only had about 2
miles to go to the finish. He's *that* nice of a guy.

I'm afraid I missed all the finish (since it's a mile out of camp, and a
few hundred hards across a wet field to get there) because I was getting
a hot supper ready for Josie when she came in. Jody & Joni came in first
and Jody pulled Aries. They offered her the option of re-presenting but
she said she was tired and let her get busy eating (which she was working
hard at)  Meanwhile, that little Cuss Cash Pony was tearing up his corral
and looking like a mustang that had just been corraled. That pony does
NOT show fatigue. Period. I think he's possessed by demons and only Joni
would deal with them!  Joni jogged across the field like she hadn't done
a thing all day, found a sponsor (Julie Jackson) and got ready to head
out alone. If she felt sorry for Jody she didn't show it. >G< Now I had
somebody to whine with and the kids were having all the fun. Josie made
it in an hour later, Rose looked good and the vets had no complaints or
misgivings about sending her back out. >double whew!< She'd enjoyed
riding in the dark and had good stories of strange floaty white things in
the distance (turned out to be reflectors on the back of other riders)
and Rose freezing only to see LOTS of eyes staring at her out of the dark
(12 deer when she got her flashlight on them) She was in good spirits and
ready to head out again but we were REALLY hoping to find someone for her
to ride with. That's when we saw Adri Dinkelmann getting ready to leave
and knew she was going to have a great time. Adri is a beautiful 20 ish
year old from South Africa who is pleasant, cheery, and an amazing rider.
Her horse Muphasa could have been right up front but she said of the
trail, "This was no day to race" and that she was trying to teach him to
pace back at times. At the finish he looked like he'd done nothing at
all. They're an amazing team. Long story short, Josie had the ride of her
life, got to hear the prom "thumping" from a distance, she and Adri
laughed about scarey sights in the woods and things like, staring at
glowsticks in the distance only to see three of them suddenly go from
stationary to whisking away. (Rider with glowsticks had stopped facing
them to let horse graze, then turned and trotted away) believe me, things
like that look STRANGE in the night. I've got a sore kid who's grinning
from ear to ear. Thanks Jody for loaning the "good horse" (and you *know*
I'll take Aries any time too!)

Back to the ride. Sorry there's no coverage of 50's. Let's just say it
was pretty amazing that Bill gathered what he did of the 100's while
crewing for 2 and EVERY timer or worker had all their notes inside a
clipboard under a plastic bag!  If you  have any specific questions I'll
try to find the answers. I didn't get to take the photos I'd have liked
to since it rained so much and digital cameras do not like moisture. But
I got a few conformation shots of those who didn't drive away
*immediately* after the awards. At least I got Finch, the winner! I'm
sending them to John as we speak (connection was too slow at the ride)

Stagg & Cheryl Newman worked awfully hard and we appreciate them here in
the SE. Good to see Ann Ayala looking spry again.

OK guys, I GOTTA take a shower!

Angie