[RC] Biltmore -- First 50! - Mike Lewis

I was raised to always give credit where it is due, and must thank some folks for their help getting me through my first 50.  Biltmore was a real challenge this weekend--almost continuous rain, mud and the intense climbs/descents made the trails a difficult to negotiate.  I have never ridden such a tough course and wasn't sure Molly and I could do it because we're used to South Carolina sand.  I took it really easy with Molly and am in awe of the folks at the front of the pack who completed this ride with a sound horse in minimal time.  I think winning time was under 5 hours for 50 miles... amazing.

Special thanks to Barbara Marcius, whom I met shortly after arrival and who not only rode virtually the entire course with me (waited for me to catch up--I started late to avoid the starting line fray) but helped me make sure Molly was properly cared for after the ride.  Importantly, Barbara tolerated all of my complaints about "going so slow" and concerns about making time--really helped my confidence in the horse and our ability to "do this."  That white loop was deceptively long.  Barbara, although you're coming from a long way away, I hope we'll cross paths again at future rides.

Special thanks, too, to Julie Holland for helping me obtain a pair of real muck boots on Friday!  :-)   I never owned a pair these handy things before this weekend... it was so nice to have dry feet before starting the ride on Saturday and while loading up the trailer on Sunday!

Thanks to Cheryl, Stagg, Genie, Michael, the vendors, the volunteers, vets, and everyone else for their advice/help and for organizing, holding, and supporting this ride.  Even though it was wet, Molly and I had a great time and I have no complaints with any aspect of the event.  I truly think Molly enjoyed the ride... not once did I have to push her forward or pull her back... she just gave straightforward and pleasant behavior.  I think my old gelding, Nafal, was historically harder to ride than she was this weekend.  Surprisingly, Molly moved nicely today and didn't seem to be sore.  I'm not sure I'd have felt so well if I'd run 50 miles on those trails with a 30 pound rucksack on my back!

Finally I have to give thanks to my (6+ months pregnant) wife Elizabeth for watching the kids all weekend and for "holding down the fort" while Molly and I were off having fun, and to the good Lord for keeping us safe on the road and at the ride.

The friendliness/helpfulness of most of the people in this sport really make it a pleasant experience.

Thanks, y'all!  Gotta go catch up on some rest!

Mike