[RC] Foaming boots on - Patty - Dream Weaver

I also tried the easy foam one weekend. I left it on for four days as I read on Karen's endurance blog that she left it on a few days...well, that did not work for me. It ruined all four boots, and his feet were very tender since it removed a lot of dead sole and frog when I finally got the boots off. It was very hard to remove. Also the stuff gets very very hot when you are first applying it...enough that my horse held his foot up in obvious discomfort. I will use it again, but only if I get good enough to do the 100 milers. I will use the easyboot customs until then.

Patty - it sound as if your problem may have been due to something besides the dead sole and frog coming off.  That ordinarily should not cause a horse to be sore (unless there is thrush, so always be sure to disinfect and clean thoroughly with a wire brush before foaming a boot on).

This is really important - for those foaming boots on, or using any type of pour in pad - when the material hardens up it needs to be shaped correctly to the bottom of the hoof.  With pour in pads I have seen people do various techniques to make sure that the pad material is shaped correctly.  When using Easyfoam is it VERY important that the horse be standing and bearing weight in the boot as the foam expands.  If that doesn't happen then the foam will swell inside the boot and can cause uneven pressure points.  I will hold up the opposite foot to keep the horse standing in the foam until the reaction ceases if the horse doesn't stand square on his own.

Needle nose pliers helps a lot to pull the foam out.  I haven't tried it yet, but I also think that a dremmel tool might work to clean up any remaining bits that you can't get out easily.  If you pull it out immediately it is a lot easier.  If you can't do it right away, then toss the boot into a bucket of water.  For more tips on using foam, I have an article here:  http://www.redwrench.com/ezboot/easyboot101part2.html  and lots more boot tips on my blog:  http://easycareinc.typepad.com/karen/

I have been trying the foam again on Easyboots and gaiterless Bares with Chief this year.  Some of our experiments have been turning out rather well.  I think I am really close to having it dialed in. :-)  Once I do I'll put together a more thorough tutorial on what worked (and what didn't).  It is a great option for horses doing mutliday rides (with or without shoes).

Karen