Re: [RC] Questions For Trainers - Quentin & Libby Llop

I saw a study that found that horses learned the most for the amount of
training time spent with once a week sessions. Obviously that isn't
practical for a professional trainer as it would take a very long time
to put much training time in, but it's nice to know for us do-it
-yourselfers who can't get on all of them every day.   Libby

geckogal85@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
How many days a week is reasonable for me to expect my trainer to work
with him? I have a woman who wants to come to my house and use my
facilities, which makes me more comfortable but she can only come 3
days a week.

*/heidi larson <ribbitttreefrog@xxxxxxxxx>/* wrote:

    Can I visit my horse anytime?

    Can I watch your training session?

    Can I be included in the training sessions at some time
    towards the end of the month or 60 days?

    How many days per week and how long is each ride typically?

    How safe is the facility and by that I mean, can someone
    show up and load up your horse and leave without being
    stopped or questioned by an owner or manager of the
    facility?

    Does the trainer ride the horse, or one of his/her
    apprentices? This doesn't really matter to me personally,
    but it's nice to know in advance who will be doing the work
    and just how supervised are apprentices should they be the
    ones riding.

    Will there be trail experience or just arena?

    Will they feed what you want fed?

    If you can visit the facility while you ask questions, look
    for cleanliness, do the horses walk up to the trainer like
    the really like him/her, are there spur marks or sores in
    the corners of their mouths?

    Does the trainer adjust his/her protocol for different
    types of horses? - sensitive horses rarely need spurs while
    the thick-skinned may need to be ridden in nothing else.

    What kind of progress do they expect to make in 30 days or
    60 days or 90 days. (And yes, I do understand each horse
    is an individual and may respond differently, but a plan
    you can sort of follow along with is important to me.)

    Just a "few" I thought of. Both trainers I've ever used
    appreciated owners who were interested in the process and
    encouraged participation by me. I think that is the most
    important thing to me personally. I've got friends whose
    horror stories with trainers include rumors from boarders
    that the horse was not worked/ridden but a couple days per
    week and one gal told me that the trainer she took her
    horse to would not allow her to come watch as he didn't
    want his training "secrets" to be available to the
    competition. Can we say Red Flag!!?

    heidi

    --- "geckogal85@xxxxxxxxx" wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about what
    > questions you ask a trainer. Usually, you find out about
    > a trainer or one that is advertising and you call them.
    > What questions do you ask over the phone to decide if it
    > is worth your time to have a meeting in person.

    http://mail.yahoo.com

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48245/*http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html;_ylc=X3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDbmV3LWNhcnM->