From: "Tracey Lomax" <bandipops@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'Evelyn Allen'" <totaleclipse2007@xxxxxxxxx>,<ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [RC]   Boldness in Horses
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:44:50 +0100

I prefer to think of this as ?forward thinking? horses vs ?backward
thinking? horses. A forward thinking horse will always walk up to and
investigate things which worry it, a backward thinking horse will need to be
persuaded (and sometimes forced) to do that. Forward thinking horses tend
to be happy to go out alone or in company and are not affected by other
horses? fear, and so, if out with a spooky horse, won?t become spooky
themselves.

I have two horses in my yard who are ?forward thinkers?. Both were like that
from the time I got them. One is my baby WB who at the age of three is
happy to lead an outride and who will go over, through, under or past
anything. The other is my OTT TB, who does dressage, showjumping, eventing
and who I?ve yet to see go ?I?m not happy going there?. When something
startles him (yes, he will spook, he is a horse after all), his first
reaction after the initial spook is to walk right up to whatever has
startled him, investigate it and move on. And he does this whether or not I
ask him to.

I have one ?backward? thinking horse in my yard. He is 17 years old and his
standard MO is to plant his feet / run backwards / go up if he doesn?t like
what he?s presented with. With time, he?s learned to be desensitized to
loads of things, from motorbikes to hot air balloons to wild animals, but if
presented with something new, he will STILL give me a hard time about going
past it and he?s a bugger to showjump cos he can?t be trusted. Eventing is
simply a no-no.

I have two horses in my yard who are spooky and looky but because they are
essentially generous, they?ll let the rider over-ride their insecurity
(which means that you need to be careful not to ask for too much and break
their trust).

And then I have a young Tb who, in every demonstrable way, is about as
backward thinking as you can get (he rears if he?s under pressure and if he
spooks, which has only happened ONCE the entire time I?ve known him, his
inclination is to bolt back home!) but who is quite possibly the BRAVEST of
the bunch and will make a fantastic event horse because so far, nothing
frightens him.  He?s the most complex to ride because I know that he will
only give me what he?s comfortable giving me, and I have to read him every
step of the way.  I adore riding him because he makes me confident.  Odd.

Tracey

_____