Re: [RC] re: Barbara's diagnonal ? - Barbara McCrary

I took lessons about 25 years ago, just to learn to change diagonals.  Previously, I had always posted on one diagonal only.  I was taught to come down as a front leg came down.  So I came down as the right leg came down, or vice versa.  I always thought that as I came down with the horse's right front leg also coming down, that was the right diagonal.  And I came down with the horse coming down on his inside front leg.  I think that is the same thing you are saying, but you said rise with the outside shoulder.  Am I right, or just confused?

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2007 8:18 AM
Subject: [RC] re: Barbara's diagnonal ?

You "rise" with the outside shoulder.  Most kids learn the rhyme, "Rise and fall with the leg on the wall."  Meaning if you are trotting in an arena to the right (clockwise), you would post forward when the left shoulder rises.  Of course, you are REALLY posting off the right rear, but most people have trouble at first "feeling" that movement.  It has made a huge improvement in my riding, my balance, and my horses' balance.

Cindy Collins