[RC] Endurance Equitation: The Rising Trot Part5 - Duncan McLaughlin

Trotting Hills

Trotting hills significantly increases the strain on
your horse, particularly his hind end. The increased
range of motion combined with the effects of gravity
mean that there is increased potential for injury.
This is especially true of the trot where the hind
legs are widely separated during some parts of the
stride, with one hind leg stretching forward and the
other stretching back. This puts strain on the hocks,
hips and particularly the sacroiliac joints. For these
reasons it is better to slow the tempo of the trot up
hills, compared to the tempo on the flat. When riding
up very steep hills you should either walk (a stable
gait which requires much less effort) or, on a fit
horse, canter (where the hind legs move very close
together, so reducing sacroiliac strain).
Don?t be afraid to ride your horse in a low, round
frame when riding up hill, both in training and
competition. Thanks to the increased range of motion
of the joints and the increase carrying effort due to
gravity, having him very round in front provides an
excellent stretch of all the muscles and ligaments
along your horse?s topline (see Figure 4).

Contrary to popular opinion, trotting down hill on a
balanced horse does not put any additional strain on
the fore legs. Ride your horse in a slower tempo to
allow time for the increased flexion of the hind leg
joints imposed by the grade of the hill. Balanced and
steady, he can tuck his hindquarters underneath his
body, carrying his weight, and lightly pass over the
forehand with each stride. There are incredible time
and energy savings to be made by trotting down hill in
a biomechanically correct manner during competition.
Always practice down hill work in training before
competition to condition your horse?s muscles
appropriately.

There are many complicated theories about the rider?s
position when riding in hills. Keep it simple. If you
ignore the hill and instead keep your upper body
vertical, as though perpendicular to flat (i.e.
horizontal) ground, then you will always be in a
balanced and effective position.

Conclusion

In summary, what we are trying to achieve is a hybrid
position between sitting and standing. With our heels
stretching lightly back and down, our feet rest on the
stirrups as if we are still standing on the ground
rather than perched on our horse. This satisfies our
neurological need for mental groundedness (as the
ground is much more reliable in its behaviour than our
horse) and allows our body to remain balanced and
coordinated. This in turn enables us to control our
horse, containing him with our seat by adjusting his
rhythm and tempo.