[RC] re: age requirement - Cindy Collins

Generally speaking, the older I get, the more I think they need to be 6 or 7 years old.? That said, it depends on the horse 100%.? Here are a couple of examples, both started as 5 year olds:? Fire Mt Torch:? I started her on a 100 miler.? She had no problem at all.? I sold her, but she has gone on to complete 36 rides with only one pull in her career.? Another mare, FM Fad Serene, I started on one 50, then her second ride was the BH 100 miler.? She had 22 starts and 22 completions, including 6 100 milers.? She was only competed two years, then the Bumgardners sold her as a brood mare.? She was absolutely sound when sold.? Both horses' records are in the AERC web site.? Also, Sierra Spunk, did 3 100 milers as a five year old, then finished the Twenty Mule team 100 as a six year old and then was 5th at Tevis as a seven year old.? Her new owner decided to do dressage with her and stopped competing in endurance after that year.

Cindy Collins