RE: RE: [RC] [RC] natural horse wormers? - heidi

Dave, your argument actually underscores my point.  The ecosystem is now
entirely different--the "shaping predators" as you call them are not there (and
are not likely to be there), therefore the horse DOES damage the ecosystem.

It takes the entire spectrum of the old ecosystem to make it the "same" or to
make horses "native."

The whole notion of the "native" wild horses is romantically appealing and
makes a great political platform, but basically has no foundation in sound
science.

On a much shorter scale, my own ancestors came from Scotland and Switzerland.
Does that make me a "native" of those countries?  Heck, no.

Heidi

Heidi:  I respectfully disagree with your argument that because wild
horse populations increase to the point that they damage their habitats
is proof  they are not native, but "feral". Perhaps you'll consider
another explanation.   When the horse disappeared from the New World so
too did many - the majority?- of other species: camelids, mastodons,
giant slots as well as a whole menu of predators.  In particular, dire
wolves,  the saber-tooth cats and the North American lion (similar but
larger than the African variety).  Every prey species has a "shaping
predator", i.e., a predator that "shapes' the numbers as well as the
physical and social evolution of the prey species.  The mountain lion,
for example, "shapes" the behavior and physical evolution of the mule
and white-tail deer; the timber wolf shapes the elk, the coyote the
rabbit, etc.  In the case of the horse, the shaping predator (I believe
it was the saber tooth cat) disappeared at the same time as the horse.
When the horse returned to its rightful birth place -thanks to the
Conquistadors - the shaping predator was long gone.  Only the mountain
lion remains to predate on the horse - and more than 90 percent of that
predation is on foals.  The mountain lion simply is not big enough to
shape the population of full grown horses.

I certainly don't disagree with you that unchecked horse populations can
- and do - damage the range lands and other habitats (most live in areas
that can't even support cattle).  And I agree it is self-evident that
the two federal agencies charged with managing them - the Bureau of Land
Management (BLM) and the U.S. Forest Service - must find ways to keep
their numbers down (what those numbers should be, however, is a
political football.)  These agencies are working on contraception as one
alternative, and of course, there is the much celebrated mustang
adoption program.  I don't know whether this is the ultimate answer or
not. But none of this, in my humble opinion, means that horses should be
kept out of areas in which they evolved due to them being "feral".

About your other points.  True, North America - as well as all other
continents - has seen significant climatic change over the eons.  For
example, the polar regions, at one time, were balmy enough to support
dinosaurs (we've found their fossils there.)  But to say climatic change
in the relatively short span of time since the end of the last ice age
was the reason for the great die-off of wildlife (including the native
horse) suggests a change much more significant than the geologic record
supports.  Indeed, between each of the major ice ages that held the
northern regions of planet enthralled  more than a dozen times, there
were "interstitial" periods of climate not unlike that which we enjoy
today.  Indeed, many geologists theorize we simply inhabit the latest
interstitial period and that another ice age is overdue. I would go even
further and suggest to you that as the great ice sheets that covered the
upper tier of the nation retreated back toward the pole, in their wake,
grasslands spread across the northern part of the continent - horse
habitat.  Thus, the one major change in the North American climate
caused by the melting of the ice, FAVORED horses.

As to your contention that the number of humans who came to the New
World following the end of the last Ice Age as being too few to account
for the mass extinctions of the North American fauna, I believe is, at
least, debatable.  First, these Neolithic hunters were the most adapt
hunters the human species ever produced.  By the time they arrived, the
human species had successfully clawed its way to the top of the food
chain.  Again the record shows that no animal - mammoth or whale - was
too big, too ferocious to escape human predation.  The spear, the
throwing stick and soon, the bow and arrow, were superb killing tools in
the hands of these people.  And remember, none of the American fauna had
ever seen humans before. The Do-Do Bird is just one example of a wild
animal that showed no fear of humans until it was rendered extinct. I
don't find it that difficult to believe that humans can - and have -
caused mass extinction. It was once said that the numbers of passenger
pigeons and buffalo were just too numerous ever to worry about their
future. One final point is that the geologic record is not yet clear on
how long it took to eliminate these animals from the New World.  It
could have ranged from a few centuries to several millennia. The one
geologic point that seems to be clear, is that there was no great
climate change that, by itself, would explain why the horse and so many
other animals disappeared from the continent.

I believe the only explanation is that they were killed by humans. And
chief among them was the horse.