RE: [RC] [RC] Advice please - Cindy Rodd - Katrina Mosshammer

Cindy,

I don't think it is unreasonable, especially if they have a good base, BUT you're the one that know your horses the best.

I don't get to train very often on my mare either. Last year she did a 25 in Aug. a 50 in Sep and another 25 in Dec. with me basically riding only on weekends, and not even consistently every weekend. This year I rode her New Years Eve and Day, 1 other weekend in Jan and I think maybe once or twice in Feb. I rode a 50 mile the 2nd weekend in March, not fast, @ 9 hrs, with mainly all A's all day. (only 2 B's at VC2) I am blessed to have a mare that either keeps herself in shape or as the guy that owns her momma says, "she's a genetic freak". But I know that I can do that with my horse. Only you can know what you can do with your horse.

Best of Luck!

Katrina Mosshammer - Manager
Mid-Summer Night's Madness
Clayton, Oklahoma
Central Region

[RC] Advice please - Cindy Rodd

Hi everyone, I need your opinion. I signed myself and my two mares, (paints), up for a 25 mile competitive trail ride on June 10th. Now, these girls were very fit last Summer, did several LDs, ended up getting most of the Winter off because of horrid, (ongoing), weather, and just started getting out again about 5 weeks ago. We've been managing 3 very short, but tough rides a week. Seriously only 3-4 miles, but all steep hills or deep snow. Now, I am going out of town for 2 weeks, no riding, which leaves us only the month of May to train. If we get some really good rides in the entire month of May, is it reasonable to think we can do 25 on June 10th, or am I wishing? I'm really new to this, and seriously don't want to push my horses. We are in Vermont, and all rides are super tough and hilly.
Thank you for any opinions.
Cindy