[RC] heart rate monitor - Alice Yovich

In the ongoing discussion with my friend who seems to think that we’re just being lazy or liking nice gadgets, I forwarded your comments and she wrote the following:

There are several places to get a pulse point, (under the jawbone, behind the elbow, and side of the foot) most of which you can't reach while riding, so if what you want is to get it while the horse is moving, then a monitor is a good idea.

I told her that I didn’t think that getting a pulse (standing or moving) was as easy as she makes it out to be, or we wouldn’t be using stethoscopes to take the HR. If it were as easy as she’s trying to make it sound why wouldn’t we all just use the pulse points to take their pulses? I can personally feel the one under the jaw pretty well, but it’s still kind of tricky. Heck, sometimes it’s hard to hear their hearts with a stethoscope.

Alice Yovich, LMT

Massage Therapist

Arlington, TX (reg 4)

www.equithreads.com