[RC] A training ride story - Juli Bechard

Yesterday I was off work for Good Friday, and decided I’d take advantage of the day and go for a good ride. I live on the edge of Jennings Forest, which is a 23,000 acre state forest in northeast Florida.  The forest is divided by several good sized creeks.  I decided that I would try and figure out how to cross Yellow Water Creek, and get to the other side of the forest and the marked, gps’d trails.  If I figured it right, I would go about four miles to the creek, get through the creek, and pick up the 18 mile Evans Trail loop, do that, and come home, about a 25 mile ride.  Alpine is coming back into shape nicely, and a good, slow 25 mile ride would be good for both of us.  That was the plan anyway….

It started out rather chilly here in Florida.  It was 95 degrees two days ago, yesterday morning it was 45. Alpine was, quite understandably, wired for sound.  We walked (reluctantly on his part) for the first mile, then picked up a slow corto.  I headed in the direction of the river, and after a couple of false starts, actually found the crossing, and across we went.  We walked a lot on the other side because it’s swampy, and after about a mile, we popped out on the Evan’s trail loop. The trail is permanently marked, and at the spot we were, said 12 miles to the parking area, so picked up and corto’d that way.  I was aiming for a 5 mph pace, so we combined walking and gaiting, and were having a wonderful time.  After about an hour and a half, Alpine started switching between his trot and his gait, which is not a problem.  I sat the slow trot, and stood for the faster trot.  If I post, he switches gaits, so I get to stand.  We got to the parking area in about 2 hours, and I untacked, hosed Alpine off, made him a snack out of the grain I brought for him, and sat down to my PB&J, and the ¼ of the apple that Alpine let me eat.  He was happy, perky, hungry, and seemed just fine for going 17 miles.

After about ½ hour, I saddled back up, trotted Alpine to make sure he was sound. He was. And climbed back up, and off we went. We looped back around to the trail that led to the creek (6 miles), going a little slower.  More walking, slower trotting/gaiting.  I had marked that trail with my sweatshirt so I’d know where to turn off the main trail.  We turned towards the creek, and crossed the creek.  And somehow got completely turned around and ended up about 7 miles further from home than where we ate lunch.  I popped out on a road and went “oh crud”.  By now we had traveled about 32-33 miles.  The most Alpine and I had ever done was 25.  And that was before the bowed tendon two years ago.  From my calculations, it was at least 12 miles home, if we didn’t get lost again.  It was now 4pm.  So, I did the smart thing, and called in the reinforcements.  My husband wasn’t happy about having to come get me with the horse trailer, but he did.  Alpine was tired…we did more than we should have at his stage of training.  And he was very happy to see the trailer arrive!

Thankfully, he seems to be feeling good this morning.  His back is a little sore, which I kind of expected.  He isn’t conditioned yet to me riding 7 hours, and I’m a heavyweight rider.  It’s not bad though, nothing like when my saddle didn’t fit.  His legs filled a bit when I put him up to eat last night, but I turned him back out, and they look cold and tight this morning.  He’s eating everything and it’s brother too…  So, Alpine gets a few days off now.  And I do too…cause I’m sore.?

Juli and the Herd

Alpine (who doesn’t want to go riding today….)

Merlin (who is an 18 month old pest that was showing his tush this morning, and as a result, is going to get worked some)