Re: [RC] re: coggins/prepurchase exams - april

My father retired from the Illinois Dept. of Ag. a couple of years ago. At that time, IL averaged 40 positive  tests a year. He was always very aggressive about making sure I got a test on anything I bought, before I brought it home. Said he couldn't stand to have the kids crushed if their new horse had to be put down even though it seemed perfectly healthy to them. Not to mention that IL is one of the states you are supposed to have one to be legal.
----- Original Message -----
From: Erin
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2007 11:05 AM
Subject: [RC] re: coggins/prepurchase exams

You could argue all day long about "it isn't likely" or "what are the chances," but in my experience, wise horsepersons will be ever-wary and instead of telling themselves "it won't happen", will be telling themselves, "if it can happen, it will, and I'd better take precautions against it or be willing to suffer mayhem and/or misfortune when it DOES happen!" (We all know I am talking about the truism in life, "Stuff happens." Especially with horses!)

My sister, for one, is a master of "it won't happen", repeatedly not being vigilant, not paying attention and/or taking the effort to take the extra step to be safe/conscientious. And she is also the master of mistakes, accidents, and making double work for herself. I love her, but some people never learn....and trust me I've tried to point stuff out to her.

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time