[RC] [RC] Best Sheepskin Cover for Bob Marshall Saddle - Mike Lewis - elsietee

Mike

I bought a full-length cover for my Bob Marshall saddle a few months ago,
and have since changed out the stirrups/leathers and the full length cover
no longer works.  There's nothing to tie it to now that I don't have
stirrup leather fenders anymore.<<<

I've used a standard western full-length sheepskin
on my BMSS for years. I tie it through the pommel
and tie the "legs" through the tops of the stirrups
(the weight of my feet in the stirrups keeps the
sheepskin tight across the saddle). As far as the
velcro tabs that are supposed to go around the fender
at calf-height, I've just velcroed them across and
tucked them behind so they aren't flapping.

If you find that it is still shifting a little, and
you don't have strings in the right places, you can
add grommets and strings using a little kit you can
get from http://www.campmor.com (all you then need
is a hammer).

Either my sheepskin had strings, or I added them to
the back at the sides, so I could also tether it to
the side-back rings, although it wasn't 100% necessary
(I haven't used those on my Barefoot saddle).

Can anyone suggest a cover for this saddle that covers the saddle and
fender skirts only?  Of course, I will need to retain the hole between the
saddle and the cantle--my old cover covers it and I can't use my water
bottle pack with the saddle as a result--there's no way to route the
straps around the cantle.  Why the cover was designed this way is beyond
me...<<<

??? Are you talking about needing to use the rings
either side of the cantle? If so, you can just cut
small slits in the sheepskin and pull the rings
through so they protrude.

Perhaps I don't correctly understand your problem?

Here's some pics of my saddle(s) set-up -
the second BMSS shown is an endurance model:

http://www.quacky.co.uk/~elsie/new-BF-saddle/saddle-comparison-close-up.htm

(note, I now use a full-length sheepskin on the
Barefoot Cheyenne also).

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net