[RC] coggins testing - k s swigart

Truman said:

If Texas is the same as FL even if the person bought
the horse it could not be moved off of the property
without a Coggins.

If Texas were the same as California, then they wouldn't even need a
negative coggins to transfer ownership.  In California, the only time
you need a coggins test is if you want to go out of state, and that is
only if it is a state that requires it (you don't need one to get back
IN to the state unless your horse has been gone for more than 14 days).

Obviously, things vary from state to state.

However, if Texas WERE the same as Florida, then that suggests that the
horse HASN'T been moved off of the property (at least not in the last
year), so unless the property itself is a hot bed of EIA, the chances of
this horse being positive are quite slim.

Personally, I wouldn't forego the chance to purchase what I thought to
be the right horse for my kids at a reasonable price just because the
seller told me, "You want to buy the horse, YOU pay the ~$30 for the
coggins. I don't need it if I am not taking the horse anywhere.  And if
you don't buy the horse, I won't be taking it anywhere."

And I especially wouldn't forego that chance if I had already spent a
lot of time an money looking at (and vetting) what turned out to be the
WRONG horses.  There are WAAAAAAY more wrong horses for kids than there
are right ones, and you can spend a lot of time an money looking at all
those horses.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)