[RC] Postive Coggins - Mike and Laurie Hilyard

Actually, you can NOT tell if a horse will be positive.  As a teenager, back in the 70's, when the test first came out, my palomino quarter horse mare tested positive.  She was strong, fast, well fleshed, and had no symptoms of anemia or even a runny nose.  She had been exposed to the disease at some point before she came into my possession, and made the antibodies, which is all the test looks for.  We still don't have a cheap, reliable test for the disease itself, just the immune system's response to it.  Who knows if she had ever even had the disease?  All it tests for is exposure.

Which is also why there are false negatives - a horse can be ill with Equine Infectious Anemia, but incapable of producing the antibody - so he will test negative.