[RC] Boot Mileage - Dream Weaver

Hi Dave - there are a lot of variables. The best people to ask would be mutliday endurance riders, who often use the boots on 5 day rides. At any given ride you'll see dozens of riders using the boots on their horses, usually over shoes but more recently a larger number of riders are using boots in place of shoes and finding that it can work well that way also. Usually as the week progresses during a multiday you are likely to see more and more horses wearing boots as riders learn about how they work to reduce concussion and sore-footedness.

I've done a lot of miles in boots, both over shod and unshod horses. The boots have always lasted longer for me than shoes. For example, when I rode with boots on the front over shoes on multidays I would always wear the hind shoes to nothing, sometimes they'd have to be replaced before the week was over in certain terrains but the boots never did. I think that the Bare tread may last longer than the standard Easyboot tread. I've got a few Bares that have done 650+ miles of competition and are still good to go. I've had reports of them going 1,000 miles, but then I've also heard from multiple people about Easyboots lasting longer than that.

I remember in 2001 I was using four boots over shoes on two horses for the entire season. Both horses did well over 1,000 miles each and we kept resetting the same set of shoes on them - they never wore out because they had Easyboots on over them for all of their competition miles. At the end of all of that mileage the shoes still looked new.

The variables can depend on so many things - such as how each horse moves, the type of terrain, and the speed they are going. I just talked to an endurance rider friend of mine last night and he has an old horse with an abscess who has been turned out with an Epic on that foot for an entire month and the boot has not only stayed on, but hasn't caused any rubbing anywhere, has little wear and has enabled the horse to be able to move around, and kept the hoof clean. I wouldn't recommend doing that without checking at least initially every day or two to make sure everything is okay.

Some horses can be harder on their shoes and boots than others, while others are easy on them. My horses that are easiest on their hoofware (of any type) have also shown to be easier on themselves as far as how well they hold up and perform long term. The only way to know how long something will last for a certain horse is to try it and see - that's why there are so many different types of hoof protection available.

Karen