From: D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson [mailto:liberty4640@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wed 4/4/2007 9:15 PM
To: LIESENS Leonard (COMM); ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   Reducing risk

Now, this makes absolute sense!  Thank you, Leonard of Belgium, for this information.  Now I know we, in the US, are not set up to perform this type of coverage and treatment of our horses.   I can't help but feel this is a direction that would clearly resolve a lot of issues on so many levels.  Most assurdedly it would ward off PETA to some degree (because there is no accounting for their irradic behavior anyway)!  Seriously, why would this be difficult to institute in the US on the 100 mile triple crown rides?  It would make so much sense.  The additional fees would be more than worth the peace of mind! I have to wonder, of the horses that are pulled, and recommendations made, how many owners/riders, whom do not follow the recommendations, take their horses home too soon, only to encounter a high risk health factor.  Again, thank you Leonard, for this insight.  I'd like to know of all the vet riders out there how they do or do not foresee this working in the US.

D'Arcy L. Demianoff-Thompson

liberty4640@xxxxxxxxx

By the way, do you know that at FEI level, the horses are during and after the ride under the responsiility of the Treatment vets. They must check regularly the horse and especially the one that were eliminated for serious metabolic issue during the night after the competition. And the morning after, horses are again controled by the vets who allow or not the rider to drive them back home.

In the same domain, when you get pulled, the vet may force you to head to the hospital (or the treatment vet) if he determined that the horse needs serious treatment.