RE: [RC] re: FEI stuff - heidi

I've been reading the recent posts with interest, but haven't had much time the past few days to respond.  But had to respond to this one.

The RULES have nothing whatsoever to do with the choice of venues.  As Leonard (from the European perspective) and Jay (from the Australian perspective) have pointed out, FEI rides cover the entire gamut of terrain and conditions, just as AERC rides do.

We get a lot of focus on the UAE-style races for two reasons--one, they have stepped up to the plate and have put in bids for major events such as the WEC, and two, they throw a great party so everybody is there to report, including folks like Steph, etc.  The rides elsewhere get a lot less press, because there is a lot less hoopla about them.  (But if you read Steph's globe-trotting posts with any regularity, she reports on a lot of rides besides the desert galas!)

It doesn't require changes in RULES to have prominent rides on more challenging terrain--it takes BIDS from potential Organizing Committees who have access to such terrain and who are willing to do the work (and raise the money!) to put these events on.  To get such bids requires the support of people who want to see this happen--and who are willing to step up to the plate with their time and their wallets to make sure that such rides take place.

I would also add that it is a lot more work for an OC to put on a challenging ride--the terrain that challenges horses also challenges course designers.  It is a lot easier to just blaze across the desert in a jeep and put some markers out than it is to "connect the dots" and hook up tough mountainous trails, measure them accurately, mark them, find areas sufficient for veterinary checks, provide veterinary and crew access, etc.  Having put on a PAC on such a course, I can tell you that it is a tough job.  So if you want to see such changes, instead of spending your time pounding keyboards and dissing the FEI, find out who in your area might be willing to host a continental or world championship, and volunteer a couple of years of your life to help.  THAT's what it takes--not rule changes!

Heidi

Steph Teeter wrote:

> And there was unaminous input from all of the members at the FEI
forum
> that we need to go back to more technical courses. the pendulum
swings...
It's not swung yet - independent on what has been said or not said. When
the rules are changes - then talk to me. Until them the rules are what
they are. Nice words need action - not more nice words.

Truman
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=