[RC] Response to Jim Holland - Michael Maul

Jim,

You post
"And how do you propose to determine what the "views" of a "major
portion" of the membership are? Most of them are not even aware
there ARE issues, much less understand them. That statement makes
no sense to me."

I wish I knew a great answer to this but I don't.  I do know that
most of our members simply want a well marked trail, interesting
places to ride that can be reached economically, and people to
have fun with while they are at these rides with their horses.

Some appreciate a challenge - others ride for lifetime miles or
year-end awards and some want to ride internationally.  Some are
satisfied with simply finishing on a sound, happy horse.

Few are even interested in voting in the BoD elections which has
the greatest potential to affect their ability to do the above.

But I'm reluctant to assume the posting by members on email lists
represents a true interest by our members in change.  It may - or
it may not.

When online surveys first came along - I was sure this was going
to give us great information with small effort on the part of the
BoD and members.  It hasn't turned out that way because only a
portion of our membership even responds to online surveys - and
those who are not online complain that we are not consulting them.

My *personal* way of coming to decisions on things like the issues
we see on the Forum is to talk with people I respect - get
feedback at rides - try arguing different sides of the issue with
different people - and over time come to a decision that my "gut"
says is right.

It's not always the correct one but it's the way I work.

I'm open to suggestions on better ways to understand member's views.

Mike