[RC] Respiration rates - sherman

My question is aparked by DVM Ribley’s note in the current issue of EN “…respiration rate is a more accurate indicator of the horse’s ability to thermoregulate than it is of fatigue.”

So what is a high respiration rate telling us? Is it indicating that the horse’s system is efficient? Or not? I’m not sure that I’ve ever read anything about this before and I’d sure be interested in knowing. My daughter’s horse has wonderful heart rates & very quick recoveries, but she does seem to have higher respiration than any of our other horses. Is the high respiration the reason for her good recoveries?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,

Kathy