[RC] Recruited in the dark ages? - bluwolf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I was in college at the University of Florida in the late 1970's, riding University-owned horses at the "Horse Teaching Unit" (HTU) (They taught ag & vet students, not the horses - grin.) We students kept the horses "tuned up" and ready to present.

I had been assigned a little Arab mare that was "too hot" for anyone one to ride. I'd worked with her for a year or so & had her showing well, but I was frustrated with the hours (days?) of prep for a show to get 5 minutes of glory in one class.

The HTU Director had a lifelong goal to ride the Old Dominion and invited two of us riding "the" arabs to train with her. What did we know? SURE! Looking back, we all knew so little.

We rode in jeans - the scars on our knees were badges of honor.

We were told to take our saddles off more gradually to keep from having "heat bumps" - in reality, the saddles didn't fit well enough. Our poor, stoic horses!

Our feet fell asleep in english irons.

Our horses would be considered EXTREMELY underweight by today's standards. We were expected to keep them looking like greyhounds - not an ounce of extra weight.

Our training bible was a brochure that the FL Horseman's association put out, calling for 10-15 miles per day, with one or two 20-30 mile rides each weekend. I can't believe that we any horse left, as much as we over trained.

We rode a year of local Florida rides in preparation for the OD. The Florida Horseman's 100 is still in existence, but I suspect many other Florida rides no longer exist. Lighter Knots, Withlacoochee, Cougar Crawl to name a few.

Sandi Lieb and Joyce Manucci allowed me to tag along for training & competitions. They were super mentors for an enthusiastic, starving college student! I'm certain that we startled people as we cantered along the side of major state roads. I learned to carry a LARGE stick - not for the horse but to take down Banana Spiders' webs.

The next year, the HTU Director & I went up to Virginia to the OD - I had NEVER seen anything other than flat lands, swamps & deep sand. The hills looked bigger than life. We were pulled at the half way point, but it was the most marvelous experience!

Due to health reasons, I've crewed & sponsored newbies in training rather than ride myself lately. Short of having both hips replaced and a new knee, I just can't make even 25 miles anymore. (Horse crashed on top of me.) I may meet some of you doing LD in the NE in the future, though. I've found that I might be able to ride with a very narrow twist to an astride saddle, and I've been amazed at how comfortable I am in a side saddle. If I can build up my muscles for a whole new way of riding, side saddle may let me continue in the years to come!

We may have our Farrier & his wife hooked! My husband will ride with them in training this summer with the idea of a Fall ride or two. They're thinking that LD is too far, and my hubbie has his sights set on taking them out for a 50. We'll see... The cycle of recruiting goes on...

Linda
Bruceton Mills, WV