From: Maryanne Gabbani [mailto:msgabbani@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2007 7:57 AM
To: Steph Teeter
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] FEI World Forum on Endurance

Wow! Does money ever talk!

FEI acceptance of endurance as an FEI sport started when Dubai (home of the
finest that money can buy) went to them looking for an equestrian sport that
a) they felt that they could excel in, and b) could get into the Olympics.
This was in the late 90's and despite the well-known fact that the IOC has
been looking for ways to get equestrian sports OUT of the Olympics. Until
then, endurance was flying under the FEI radar and without big-buck sponsors
for the sport, FEI wasn't interested in it because FEI derives its funding
from, among other things, a percentage of prize money offered.

When a MAJOR sponsor pops up for endurance, all of a sudden the FEI is
interested, naturally, and being helpful says "Sure, we can get endurance
into the Olympics!  Just get it established in enough countries to qualify."
And Maktoum And Co. trotted off with their bags of cash dictating races in
various countries (mostly the Arab countries who didn't have a clue, like
Egypt) with massive cash prizes for the first horses over the line in long
races. Whether this was truly endurance as practiced already in other places
was irrelevant. This was endurance as Dubai wanted it practiced.

Despite many riders in these "endurance races" (accompanied unfortunately by
many injured and dead horses who were in no way prepared) and lots of
flattering media coverage (after all, who pays the tab?), endurance didn't
make it into the Olympics at the millenium and some of the furor died down.
At least we stopped having these big glitzy races here and now the local
federation just sort of futz along by themselves at a much smaller level
that we can all ignore if we want. (But there is still little or no concern
for the horses and no education of riders involved as far as I can see.)

One might have thought that the issue was then forgotten? No, the Dubai
contingent simply was working its way up the ranks in the FEI to ensure its
clout. So now they are still talking endurance in the Olympics? But it isn't
the old endurance which we know and love that they are promoting because
endurance started out with people who wanted to see what they and their
horses could do against the terrain. The question was "Are we as tough as
our grandfathers/mothers? Can our horses do the treks that their horses
did?" That question is no longer relevant on a time-controlled, groomed
track using the finest of medical preparation available to pit one very fast
horse against another.  The only element that the terrain or weather
contribute is boredom.

This whole thing is something like watching one of those long-lasting soap
operas...Lost or Desperate Housewives.  Will Dubai finally get its chance to
win a gold medal in the Olympics? Will anyone ever remember the name of the
horse that the winner rode? Tune in tomorrow folks to find out whether Dubai
has enough money to buy the IOC's approval for a new equestrian sport when
they are trying to get rid of eventing (witness all the pulling of teeth in
the sport that was in the Olympics because it started as a military test for
cavalry horses).

Please do keep us in touch, Steph, with the developments of Lost in
Endurance in Paris. If I sound a little cynical, I've earned that by
watching the underside of the development of the "sport" here and seeing
what it's done to the minds of people who could have learned something else.
Oh yeah, there's a little bitterness too. We have a local endurance group
that basically does LD because it started out having seen nothing but these
fast flat races that last as short a time as possible. The concept that the
word "endurance" has something to do with lasting over time was lost
somewhere, and everyone wants to finish by lunch time. After all, isn't that
what the big boys in Dubai do?

Maryanne