From: Spottedracer@xxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   I've got hatemail

>Um, I think you're one of the people who don't "get" Angie.

***People that need to make themselves look better by degrading others - are not the type of individuals that I prefer to know, understand, or support by purchasing a book.... After reading this article - Myself and many others wouldn't ever consider purchasing anything written by her..You should've heard some of the comments spoken about it at the City Slickers ride...I'm far from the only one that thought the article was in very poor taste.

Just by printing that article, AERC turns off prospective members because they present these views as the common views held by the AERC membership.
She single-handedly turned off over a dozen Senior students to ever think of AERC as 'minority friendly' (and yes, all are accepted to MD or Pharmacy school, all horse lovers/riders, all will be VERY well-off and able to compete in whatever they want to in the next ten years....the type of young people AERC WANTS)

You know, there's a difference between comedy and rudeness.... I'm sure that people felt it was 'funny' back in the 50's-60's to talk about those 'stupid niggers' who thought they should be treated the same.. as well as it was 'funny' to joke about women who WANTED to work and not have children. 'Funny' to joke about kids born with handicaps. Yep, back then people had many opinions that we now consider reprehensible - but they thought it was 'funny'.

Maybe I'm just different - I was raised in the military and taught to VALUE diversity.. I'm currently enrolled at a minority University... I'm being trained to become a teacher - and of course to VALUE diversity and to encourage children/people of all types to try to attain their goals.. Regardless of how 'different' they are from me, or whether I even like them..

I prefer to OPEN my mind - not joke about how close minded we should be.. I don't feel the need to get a cheap laugh by needlessly degrading others because they are 'different' - Regardless of how 'funny' I think the degradation is... It's still degradation!

I'm far from the only one insulted.. Have 10 emails from quite list members whom all agree with me on this.. they just don't like to get BLASTED for having differing opinions and open minds...But then, I'm a strong enough person - not to have to 'go with the herd' - when the herd is going in the wrong direction....

So give me your best shots... If being open-minded, sensitive to other's perspectives, a supporter of diversity, against making potshots at others because they are 'different' - is wrong.. then I'm DAMN proud to be WRONG!!

- LP

From: Spottedracer@xxxxxx

I would suggest asking them again when they are older and wiser and have learned to laugh at themselves. This may be why the "bell curve" for endurance riders is slanted a tad to the longer of tooth....

***He, he, he...thanks for the compliment! I'm in my mid-30's ... Old enough, and experienced enough in life to understand that diversity should be valued highly...

I sincerely HOPE that I never get so old as to think people that are 'different' from myself, are somehow lesser..

In fact, the older I get - the more open my mind becomes!
- LP

5.5%* 30 year fixed mortgage rate. Good credit refinance. Up to 5 free quotes - *Terms https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h2a5d&s=4056&p=5117&disc=y&vers=910