[RC] CA: Auburn State Recreation Area - TRAIL USAGE DURING RAIN - John Teeter

Begin forwarded message:

From: "sherman" <sherman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Auburn State Recreation Area - TRAIL USAGE DURING RAIN

Can you please get this posted to ridecamp? Thanks,

Kathy

Information from the Auburn State Recreation Area:

With the recent trail work on the Wendell Robie Trail completed State Parks is interested in gaining trail users voluntary compliance in using alternate routes on several trails following rain events. Donna Williams of the Wendell Robie Foundation and I met recently to discuss a strategy for protecting not only the recent investment in time and funds to repair the State controlled sections of the Wendell Robie trail from the Olmsted Loop to No Hands bridge but also two other trails that are sensitive to heavy use following rain events. It was decided that asking trail users to avoid using these trails for two days following rain storms would help to maintain the trails in better shape for all users and result in less damage to the trails. Signs advising users to avoid using these trails will be placed on the lower and upper access points to the trails. This is a voluntary closure of the trails but if we all cooperate and work together we can keep our trails in better shape longer.

The trials that we will start this program with are listed below. Other trails may be added to the list if extensive trail repairs are done in the future or the trail is identified as potentially sensitive to use when the trail is wet

.

The trails are:

1. The Wendell Robie Trail from Olmsted Loop to No Hands Bridge (also known as the Mountain Quarries Railroad Bridge).

2. American Canyon Trail to Dead Car Trail.

3. Olmsted Loop Trail.

The signs will be installed by the Auburn SRA Mounted Patrol unit. Donna is looking into the possibility of the Wendell Robie Foundation covering the cost of the signs. The signs will contain the following wording. ADVISE CLOSURE 2 DAYS AFTER RAIN. Wendell Robie from Olmsted Loop to No Hands Bridge. Each location will have the specific section of trail effected listed under the advisory.

You voluntary cooperation in this effort will go a long way toward sustaining our trails in a useable condition for all visitors to the recreation area.

Thanks,

Jay Galloway

Park Superintendent II

Auburn State Recreation Area