[RC] "By Invitation Only" - Michelle Aquilino

After following this thread in the last couple days, being amused by people's accusations, and finally getting around to look back at the article to see how people could possibly be misconstruing it...

I concur with Elyse in that one of the things I love most about endurance is the people.  I have admittedly never been much of a people person, but have found that I get along and absolutely adore about 98.7% of the ones I meet :)  I feel blessed to have gotten close to the ones I have through endurance.

Though I come from a more unique origin as far as how I started in endurance.  I started having known no one in the sport.  I found the sport online, looked at the ride calendar, saw that the "Fort Valley" ride was coming up and it was pretty close.  So I emailed everyone in my nearby area (MD at the time) asking if they were going, and maybe I could hitch a ride.  I just really wanted to check out this sport which sounded like exactly what I was looking for to get back into riding (having not ridden since middle school, and just having graduated college).  I got directed to the ride manager, and got all set up to come volunteer.

Several people I have interacted with so far have been surprised at the fact that I found the sport and actually have gotten quite into it, without having been "recruited".  I hope I'm not one who people wonder how they managed to get "inside", but from my continued support, and never-ending supply of mentors, I assume I am not :)

After helping condition for about the past 15 months, and finally getting around to doing my first ride (Sand Hills 55), I can't wait to find my first horse, my partner, to experience endurance with so that I can continue to meet more of these great people, of whom make me feel more welcome than I have ever felt at any other time in my life.

What a great group to be a part of... can anyone tell I'm happy?  :)

-Michelle

--
"Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die"