[RC] [RC] Angie's humor and new AERC members - Milroy Grosse

OK I joined this forum just to put in my two cents.  And want to say that I am not referring to the racial issues that came up because that was out from left field somewhere and obviously a huge misunderstanding.

OK, here goes.....I am  new to endurance. But I am reading and trying to take in all that I can. And EN and RC are great sources of information. I have also had a hard time finding a true mentor.  This is for various reasons some that I take responsibility for and some because life just happens for everyone.  I think I have one now.

So maybe, as someone who has hasn't really started but wants to, I can say that at first read of Angie's article I was not offended as much as disappointed and thought that maybe this is why it can be so hard to get started in this sport.  The established don't think I have it.  Several people I talked to felt the same way. But after hearing established riders admit that it was poking fun at themselves I don't feel so bad.

TO THE VETERANS I would say.....obviously, you have to have the perspective to get the joke.  So I hope you all could understand that if you have never been on a ride and dying of thirst enough to want to drink out of that water bottle then of course you won't get it.  Also, if you are having a difficult time breaking into the sport....for whatever reason then you might think that maybe it is because you are not wanted. Of course the husbands and wives of endurance riders will get it because even if they have never been on a horse, they still have their spouse to give them the perspective, right.

Finally, I agree with Jen Adams.  I got interested in the sport because the endurance riders I read about and talked with seemed like some of the most knowledgeable horsemen and horsewomen around and many I would consider an honor to be acquainted with.  But at the same time, you need to remember, for someone new to something,  that breadth of knowledge is VERY INTIMIDATING.  How would you feel if the "endurance celebrities" at the time that you start came out with a "satirical" article about how the endurance riders of today just aren't what they used to be (even if they were poking fun at themselves).  I recall many people offended on RC in the past because some were of the opinion that you were not a "real" endurance rider unless you do 100s at some point.  Whatever..... It is all perspective.

Anyway, we newbies are very impressionable and want to make good decisions about ourselves and our horses and make a good impression on the older (or younger) experienced riders, so go easy on us if we "misunderstand" the humor.....don't make us feel like we are stupid because we "don't get it".  Or "shouldn't be in endurance" because we didn't get it.  Just try to remember it is ALL perspective and someday we WILL get it and for now "explain" it to us (like some did) and then we can say "OHHHH.....I get it!!  VERY Funny!!"

I think that this thread (both newbies and veterans) may have done more to hurt feelings than the original article.

Just MHO.